1862: An unexpected letter at tea time on Saturday evening kicks off the adventure of a lifetime…
~ CIVIL WAR DIARY of Esther Hill Hawks ~
NEXT: On the pier >>
The ship in panel 4 is the USS Delaware.
Who is Esther Hill Hawks?
- A native of Hooksett, living in Manchester, NH at the start of the Civil War
- One of the USA’s first female doctors
- An abolitionist… confronting her own deep-seated stereotypes about race
- A volunteer teacher with the Freedmen of coastal South Carolina
- A Civil War-era diarist
- … and more!
- A WOMAN DOCTOR’S CIVIL WAR
Gerald Schwartz has edited this fine edition of Esther Hill Hawks’ Diary.
- OUR WAR by Mike Pride
I first learned of EHH from Mike Pride’s book, “Our War”, which features a chapter about her work with wounded soldiers in the early colored regiments.
Leave a Reply